- Novel Crop Insurance provides coverage on crops not currently covered by the AgriInsurance program due to the relatively small number of acres grown and/or lack of data or information available.
- Novel Crop Insurance is available to all producers that have an AgriInsurance contract.
- Landlords are not eligible.
- Coverage is restricted to annual, biennial, and perennial crops grown for the production of grain or seed. Coverage is available in the year of harvest only.
- Producers must grow and insure at least one typical annual or forage seed crop in order to calculate coverage for the novel crop.
- Intercrop mixtures are eligible for coverage as a novel crop.
- Minimum of acres per novel crop is required.
- Novel crop acres cannot exceed per cent of the producer’s other insured annual and forage seed crop acres grown in that year.
AgriInsurance Crop Acres Soybeans Red Spring Wheat Canola Total Non-Novel Crop acres: Maximum acres eligible
for Novel Crop Insurance:
= x %
- Seeding deadline for all novel crops is June 20.
- Novel crops are eligible for a reseed benefit of 25 per cent of the crop’s per acre dollar coverage if the crop fails to establish by June 20.
- Producers must submit a Seeded Acreage Report to MASC by June 30.