- Producers selecting the Continuous Hail Insurance Option (CHIO) are not required to complete an annual hail application as hail insurance coverage renews automatically every year.
- To be eligible for the CHIO, producers must have all eligible crops insured under AgriInsurance at the per cent coverage level.
- Most crops are included in the CHIO automatically, with the following crops only eligible as Optional Crops:
- processing and table potatoes
- cooking onions
- other onions
- sweet corn
- Basic Hay
- Select Hay
- pedigreed timothy seed
- alfalfa seed
- perennial ryegrass seed
- annual ryegrass seed
- silage corn
- tall fescue seed
- winter squash
- organic crops
- These Optional Crops can be individually added to your CHIO selection by March 31.
- All seeded acres of eligible crops will automatically be insured for maximum coverage under MASC Hail Insurance.
- Coverage comes into effect on April 1 of the crop year immediately following the year in which the Continuous Hail Insurance Option is selected and automatically renews from crop year to crop year.
- Coverage can only be cancelled if acres become non-viable and are appraised by MASC and subsequently destroyed, all in accordance with the Short Date Cancellation Table.
- Premiums are based on the rates published annually by MASC.
- CHIO participants automatically qualify for a two per cent hail premium discount.
- CHIO participants who have maintained their CHIO coverage for more than two years will receive an additional one per cent discount each year, to a maximum of five per cent in the 5th year of continuous participation.
- Insureds are also eligible for a five per cent hail premium discount if their hail premium is paid by July 31.
Other Program Details
- The Continuous Hail Insurance Option eliminates the need to apply for hail insurance each year.
- Insureds are sent a Statement of Hail Insurance after their Seeded Acreage Report has been processed.
- Landlords have the option to select the CHIO regardless of the coverage level selected by their tenant.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- The deadline to sign-up or cancel the CHIO (or add / remove Optional Crops) is March 31.