- Winter wheat insurance provides financial assistance to winter wheat growers when they experience a significant production shortfall.
- Winter wheat is not eligible for Stage 1 coverage. It is still eligible for the 25 per cent reseeding benefit.
- Winter wheat that establishes and suffers an insurable loss after June 20 is eligible for a Stage 2UH or Post Harvest claim.
- Winter wheat is eligible for a Stage 2 UH indemnity if damage occurs prior to June 20 of the crop year following the year of planting, and you were unable to destroy or reseed due to excess moisture.
- If winter wheat is overseeded, no indemnity is payable for the damaged winter wheat. The resulting crop may be insured as Other Spring Wheat or Mixed Grain.
- Winter wheat can be insured at , , or per cent coverage.
- The premium cost is shared per cent by the producer, per cent by the Government of Canada, and per cent by the Province of Manitoba.
- Reseeding benefit is 25 per cent of selected coverage (see below for reseed examples).
- Note: If it remains too wet and an insured cannot reseed, the claim may be converted to a Stage 2UH in which case full coverage will apply. If this occurs the full appraised yield determined by MASC will be counted as production.
- In the spring of each crop year MASC will establish a date based on agronomic conditions whereby it can accurately complete a crop assessment. Crops must be appraised and consent given prior to destruction in order to be eligible for a reseeding benefit.
- Stage 2 is 100 per cent of selected coverage (less appraised yield) for losses occurring after June 20 and prior to harvest.
- Post harvest is 100 per cent of selected coverage.
- Note: After the crop is harvested a final indemnity is calculated for the yield shortfall of the entire acreage of winter wheat (includes appraised production for affected acreage).
The following example illustrates a winter wheat reseed claim payment on a -acre crop:
|Winter Wheat Dollar Value
|Indemnity per Acre
E = A x C X D
(E x acres)
|bushels||bushels||per cent||$ per bushel||$||$|
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Winter wheat planted from August 15 to September 25 will have full coverage.
- Winter wheat planted from September 26 to September 30 will have coverage reduced by 20 per cent.